- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Man charged with assault in car wreck
DEXTER, Mo. -- A 24-year-old Dexter man has been charged with assault, the result of a wreck that occurred on Two Mile Road in Dexter.
Stewart J. Barney was charged Thursday with second-degree vehicular assault for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, resulting in injury.
Dexter police responded to the scene at 11:28 p.m. July 12 on Two Mile Road, just south of Arvin Road. Barney's southbound vehicle had reportedly attempted to pass another southbound vehicle, driven by Joshua B. Eye of Bloomfield, Mo. Police said Barney attempted to merge back to the right lane and struck Eye's vehicle in the front driver's side. Eye lost control of his vehicle, left the road and came to stop in a corn field west of the road.
Barney's vehicle then also left the road, overturning and coming to rest in the cornfield, ejecting his passenger, Michael Scism.
Barney suffered injuries in the wreck and was transported by ambulance for treatment. Scism sustained critical injuries and was airlifted to a Cape Girardeau hospital.
Barney gave permission for a blood sample to be drawn at the scene to determine if alcohol was involved in the accident. Those results have not been released.
Barney posted bond of $50,000 Thursday and was released. His arraignment is set for Thursday.
Two Mile Road and Arvin Road, Dexter, Mo.