- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Southeast Missouri State linebacker Blake Peiffer earns spot on top defensive player watch list
Southeast Missouri State senior linebacker Blake Peiffer is one of 20 standout defensive players named to the Sports Network's Buck Buchanan Watch List.
Peiffer is the only Ohio Valley Conference player among this year's initial Buck Buchanan Award nominees. The 18th annual award goes to the top defensive player in the Football Championship Subdivision.
Peiffer, who recently was named to the Sports Network FCS preseason All-America first team, landed a spot on four All-American squads in 2011 after leading the OVC in tackles with a school-record 151.
The Jackson High School graduate ranked third in the nation with an average of 13.7 tackles per game and was the Redhawks' only first-team all-OVC honoree a year ago.
Peiffer recorded double-digit tackles in 10 of Southeast's 11 games, including a career-high 19 against Jacksonville State. He also led the Redhawks with 7.5 tackles for loss.
Peiffer and the Redhawks open the season Aug. 30 at Central Michigan. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.