- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
If you've ever been severely injured or had major surgery, you may have required a blood transfusion. For those who've needed this assistance, you know how important it is for people to donate blood.
The Southeast Missourian recently reported that the Red Cross national blood supply, with 50,000 fewer donations than expected, has reached an "emergency level." While summer is traditionally a slow period for blood donations, the need for eligible donors continues.
Those interested in donating on a regular basis may do so every 56 days, and there are some who do this regularly. To these individuals we offer our thanks.
Several area blood drives are scheduled for this week:
* National Asset Recovery Services, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today.
* Southeast Missouri State University Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 1 to 5 p.m. today.
* Culvers, 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday.
* Sam's Club, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
* Extended hours at the Red Cross office., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday.
* United Methodist Church in Bernie, Mo., 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
Tara Lincoln, a donor recruitment representative with the American Red Cross, said that T-shirts will be given to all who present to donate blood this month. These individuals will also be eligible to receive one of six Gibson guitars. Donors ages 16 to 21 who donate by Sept. 3 will be eligible to receive a $5,000 scholarship.
To make an appointment, call 1-800-733-2767 or visit www.redcrossblood.org. To see a list of all upcoming blood drives in the area, check out the Red Cross website. Listings can also be found at semoevents.com and in this Sunday's Good Times section.