- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Victims of alleged Ponzi scheme seek compensation from killer's victims (8/21/16)3
- Cape Central football team falls to state-ranked Liberty in Pixley's debut (8/20/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
If you've ever been severely injured or had major surgery, you may have required a blood transfusion. For those who've needed this assistance, you know how important it is for people to donate blood.
The Southeast Missourian recently reported that the Red Cross national blood supply, with 50,000 fewer donations than expected, has reached an "emergency level." While summer is traditionally a slow period for blood donations, the need for eligible donors continues.
Those interested in donating on a regular basis may do so every 56 days, and there are some who do this regularly. To these individuals we offer our thanks.
Several area blood drives are scheduled for this week:
* National Asset Recovery Services, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today.
* Southeast Missouri State University Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 1 to 5 p.m. today.
* Culvers, 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday.
* Sam's Club, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
* Extended hours at the Red Cross office., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday.
* United Methodist Church in Bernie, Mo., 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
Tara Lincoln, a donor recruitment representative with the American Red Cross, said that T-shirts will be given to all who present to donate blood this month. These individuals will also be eligible to receive one of six Gibson guitars. Donors ages 16 to 21 who donate by Sept. 3 will be eligible to receive a $5,000 scholarship.
To make an appointment, call 1-800-733-2767 or visit www.redcrossblood.org. To see a list of all upcoming blood drives in the area, check out the Red Cross website. Listings can also be found at semoevents.com and in this Sunday's Good Times section.