- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)15
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Jackson man charged with assault after incident at Cape bar (06/24/16)1
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
If you've ever been severely injured or had major surgery, you may have required a blood transfusion. For those who've needed this assistance, you know how important it is for people to donate blood.
The Southeast Missourian recently reported that the Red Cross national blood supply, with 50,000 fewer donations than expected, has reached an "emergency level." While summer is traditionally a slow period for blood donations, the need for eligible donors continues.
Those interested in donating on a regular basis may do so every 56 days, and there are some who do this regularly. To these individuals we offer our thanks.
Several area blood drives are scheduled for this week:
* National Asset Recovery Services, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today.
* Southeast Missouri State University Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 1 to 5 p.m. today.
* Culvers, 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday.
* Sam's Club, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
* Extended hours at the Red Cross office., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday.
* United Methodist Church in Bernie, Mo., 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
Tara Lincoln, a donor recruitment representative with the American Red Cross, said that T-shirts will be given to all who present to donate blood this month. These individuals will also be eligible to receive one of six Gibson guitars. Donors ages 16 to 21 who donate by Sept. 3 will be eligible to receive a $5,000 scholarship.
To make an appointment, call 1-800-733-2767 or visit www.redcrossblood.org. To see a list of all upcoming blood drives in the area, check out the Red Cross website. Listings can also be found at semoevents.com and in this Sunday's Good Times section.