Out of the past 7/17/12

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

1987

The north wing of Trinity Lutheran School is encased in plastic and air hoses are streaming down the hallway, as two workers remove asbestos material from the rooms; David and Carol Roth of Larron Laboratories, both members of Trinity Church, aren't charging for their labors.

A rash of burglaries and vandalism over the past six weeks is keeping Cape Girardeau police officers busy; the latest incidents involved the theft of two basketball goals, backboards and metal goal posts from the outdoor basketball court at Indian Park.

1962

The first concrete was poured during the construction of Interstate 55 in Cape Girardeau County on July 17, 1962. (Missourian archives photo by G.D. "Frony" Fronabarger"

Paving of Interstate 55 in Cape Girardeau County begins, the first bucket of cement being poured two miles north of Wedekind Park at a point just north of Old McKendree Chapel.

Industrial rezoning with a protective buffer strip may be a compromise solution to the Hirsch estate situation; the chamber of commerce seeks to have a 28.1-acre tract in the North Main Street area reclassified from single-family dwellings to heavy industry; but residents in the area contend the zoning change would be detrimental to the neighborhood and would depress property values.

1937

Simpson Oil Co. has had two additional cooling units installed at the Colonial Tavern; by this arrangement, the front dining room is now air cooled, as the rear one has been for a year; a large thermometer has also been installed over the restaurant door so that customers can compare the inside temperature with that outdoors.

A collection of Mississippi River Valley lore has been established at the Cape Girardeau Public Library; the 61-volume collection, housed in a special bookcase, is expected to draw students of the history of the valley to Cape Girardeau.

1912

A.E. Schuppan, who lives in Cape Girardeau, has started a sawmill near Commerce, Mo., to furnish lumber for the many new farms, homes and buildings being established in the district; Schuppan has bought the timber on hundreds of acres of land near Commerce.

William Cambron, who formerly had charge of the Green Tree Hotel in Haarig and who now resides in St. Louis, is spending a few days here.

-- Sharon Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: