- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Paid election letter: Andrews demonstrates commitment
I highly recommend Ron Andrews for assessor in the Aug. 7 primary election.
I became acquainted with Ron through his service as an umpire for the Jackson Baseball League.
Five years ago, the JBL board asked Ron to be a one-man umpiring crew at the Leonard Sander Armory field, where 7- and 8-year-old boys play "America's Greatest Pastime." Ron accepted the challenge and continues to receive raving reviews from parents and coaches for his ability to manage the game and mentor the boys. In the months of May and June, Ron umpires two games Monday through Friday and three games on Saturday.
The question, "Why isn't Ron out campaigning?" has been posed numerous times by parents at the games.
My response has been, "When Ron makes a commitment, you can depend on him to meet that commitment."
If Ron runs the assessor's office like he runs a baseball game, the citizens of Cape Girardeau County will be well served.
MIKE BUCK, Jackson Baseball League board member/umpire coordinator, 597 Vail Drive, Jackson, MO 63755