- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Paid election letter: Andrews demonstrates commitment
I highly recommend Ron Andrews for assessor in the Aug. 7 primary election.
I became acquainted with Ron through his service as an umpire for the Jackson Baseball League.
Five years ago, the JBL board asked Ron to be a one-man umpiring crew at the Leonard Sander Armory field, where 7- and 8-year-old boys play "America's Greatest Pastime." Ron accepted the challenge and continues to receive raving reviews from parents and coaches for his ability to manage the game and mentor the boys. In the months of May and June, Ron umpires two games Monday through Friday and three games on Saturday.
The question, "Why isn't Ron out campaigning?" has been posed numerous times by parents at the games.
My response has been, "When Ron makes a commitment, you can depend on him to meet that commitment."
If Ron runs the assessor's office like he runs a baseball game, the citizens of Cape Girardeau County will be well served.
MIKE BUCK, Jackson Baseball League board member/umpire coordinator, 597 Vail Drive, Jackson, MO 63755