- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)2
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Fire destroys two greenhouses at Travelers Gazebo site in Cape (6/22/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)
Parks and Rec Day
Coming off the recent heat wave that brought triple-digit temperatures to much of the area, this week's low-90s weather has been a welcome change. And it's just in time for the 11th annual Cape Girardeau Parks and Rec Day.
The event, started by the Southeast Missourian Jr. and Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department, traditionally draws 800 to 1,000 people and is a good opportunity for families to enjoy fun activities and food. And you can't beat the price. Free!
Held at the Osage Centre, today's festivities include a petting zoo, blow-up obstacle course, free ice cream and Popsicles and "Bingo for Books," among other things. About 25 vendors are scheduled to be on hand.
Maybe you're looking to adopt a pet. The Humane Society of Southeast Missouri will have animals on hand that need a good home. Those who donate to the shelter will also be registered for some neat prizes, including St. Louis Cardinals tickets, admission to the Magic House in St. Louis and St. Louis Science Center tickets, among others.
The parks and rec activities take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Following this Cape Splash will be offering free children's admission with a paying adult from 3 to 7 p.m.
We hope you stop by and take part in the fun.