- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)21
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Parks and Rec Day
Coming off the recent heat wave that brought triple-digit temperatures to much of the area, this week's low-90s weather has been a welcome change. And it's just in time for the 11th annual Cape Girardeau Parks and Rec Day.
The event, started by the Southeast Missourian Jr. and Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department, traditionally draws 800 to 1,000 people and is a good opportunity for families to enjoy fun activities and food. And you can't beat the price. Free!
Held at the Osage Centre, today's festivities include a petting zoo, blow-up obstacle course, free ice cream and Popsicles and "Bingo for Books," among other things. About 25 vendors are scheduled to be on hand.
Maybe you're looking to adopt a pet. The Humane Society of Southeast Missouri will have animals on hand that need a good home. Those who donate to the shelter will also be registered for some neat prizes, including St. Louis Cardinals tickets, admission to the Magic House in St. Louis and St. Louis Science Center tickets, among others.
The parks and rec activities take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Following this Cape Splash will be offering free children's admission with a paying adult from 3 to 7 p.m.
We hope you stop by and take part in the fun.