- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Steamboats in Cape
Downtown Cape Girardeau is full of history. From the various centers that bring history to life to the buildings and homes that have been renovated, there are plenty of opportunities for locals and visitors alike to learn about our area's heritage.
This summer and fall the historical theme of downtown continues as two steamboats with a historic touch make a total of five stops in Cape Girardeau.
Last Monday the American Queen docked in Cape Girardeau. The impressive boat was on its way from Memphis, Tenn., to St. Louis. Passengers had an opportunity to tour the floodwall murals, Red House Interpretive Center, Old St. Vincent's Catholic Church, the Glenn House, the Crisp Museum at the River Campus, the River Heritage Museum and the Convention and Visitors Bureau while in town.
The steamboat will make two more trips to Cape Girardeau: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sept. 12 and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Nov. 13.
The Queen of the Mississippi will also be making stops in Cape Girardeau soon. Public tours will not be offered. However, those who contact American Cruise Lines of Guilford, Conn., in advance may schedule a tour.
The boat docks in Cape Girardeau from 2 to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 30 and from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 5.
Both boats dock at Riverfront Park, located at Broadway and North Water Street.
If you get a chance to see these riverboats it's worth a look. To see a photo gallery from the American Queen's recent stop, go to semissourian.com.