- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)4
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
It's amazing the things we take for granted. The movies, for instance. Most of us probably don't give a second thought to theater accommodations. But for some people, particularly those with autism or other disabilities, the standard features for watching a motion picture at a theater may be problematic.
Locally a group has partnered with Cape West 14 Cine to offer Sensory Saturdays, a program that accommodates those with special needs. Every third Saturday the theater shows a family-friendly movie. The lighting is moderately dimmed and the volume dialed down. The room is a comfortable temperature and guests are free to move around, sing, dance and even bring food for children on special diets.
So far the reaction to this effort has been positive. Now in its second year, about 40 people attend the monthly movie. Last month, according to organizers, 75 people were on hand to see "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted." The next movie, Disney Pixar's "Brave," is set for 10 a.m. July 21. Tickets are $5.
We appreciate the volunteers and professionals who make Sensory Saturdays happen. And hats off to the theater management and staff for their partnership. There are a number of folks who face varying challenges, but thanks to your efforts, more are experiencing the fun of going to the movies.