- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)1
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
It's amazing the things we take for granted. The movies, for instance. Most of us probably don't give a second thought to theater accommodations. But for some people, particularly those with autism or other disabilities, the standard features for watching a motion picture at a theater may be problematic.
Locally a group has partnered with Cape West 14 Cine to offer Sensory Saturdays, a program that accommodates those with special needs. Every third Saturday the theater shows a family-friendly movie. The lighting is moderately dimmed and the volume dialed down. The room is a comfortable temperature and guests are free to move around, sing, dance and even bring food for children on special diets.
So far the reaction to this effort has been positive. Now in its second year, about 40 people attend the monthly movie. Last month, according to organizers, 75 people were on hand to see "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted." The next movie, Disney Pixar's "Brave," is set for 10 a.m. July 21. Tickets are $5.
We appreciate the volunteers and professionals who make Sensory Saturdays happen. And hats off to the theater management and staff for their partnership. There are a number of folks who face varying challenges, but thanks to your efforts, more are experiencing the fun of going to the movies.