- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Out of the past 7/9/12
25 years ago: July 9, 1987
Renovations are underway at the Salvation Army headquarters, 701 Good Hope St.; the brick building has been tuck-pointed and a new heating and cooling system is being installed; a group of volunteers is painting, and a new flat roof will be added.
The old Saint Francis Hospital, formerly a residence hall for Southeast Missouri State University, is for sale; the building, on Good Hope Street, is being sold by the university because it is no longer needed as a residence hall.
50 years ago: July 9, 1962
The majority of the First Battle Group, 140th Infantry of the 35th National Guard Division returned to Southeast Missouri over the weekend, with the last group coming in today, after two weeks of training at Camp Ripley in Minnesota; the 700 members came home by rail and motor convoy.
Mr. and Mrs. Thad Bullock are the new owners of the Town Plaza cafeteria, having purchased the business from Mr. and Mrs. Ben Hutchison of Cairo, Ill.; Bullock also has his piano salon in the Arcade Building.
75 years ago: July 9, 1937
Contracts aggregating $9,875.75 for furnishings at Lorimier School were let yesterday by the school board; the largest contract went to E.A. Holscher Office Furniture Co. of St. Louis, which includes window shades, seats and miscellaneous furniture.
The long-delayed move of the Missouri Pacific Railroad to establish a network of truck lines in Southeast Missouri to operate in coordination with present rail service is launched with the beginning of a hearing at Common Pleas Courthouse before John A. Ferguson of the Public Service Commission; the railroad is asking for a certificate of convenience and necessity, an application opposed by the major truck lines already operating in the district.
100 years ago: July 9, 1912
U.S. Marshal E.F. Regenhardt of St. Louis, late of Cape Girardeau, has moved his family to a farm north of St. Louis; he has a 10-room house, 10 acres of land, a fine Jersey cow, chickens and all kinds of vegetables.
E.P. Thomas and Martin Lorberg go up to Seventy-Six, Mo., in the morning to spend the days in the woods; it is reported that squirrels are so thick there, they are eating all the wheat for the farmers.
-- Sharon K. Sanders