- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Dora Esther Mantel, 90, of Jackson passed away Monday, July 2, 2012, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
She was born April 16, 1922, at Morley, Mo., to Ray and Cora Watson Shores. She and C.E. Mantel were married Aug. 22, 1945. He preceded her in death Sept. 19, 1991.
Dora was a florist at Gilmer's Flower Shop in Chaffee, Mo., and also worked at Sports Specialty Shoe Co. as a machine operator. Dora and C.E. then started Mantel Antiques in Chaffee after he retired from the railroad.
Dora was a member of First Baptist Church in Jackson, and a former member of Calvary Baptist Church in Chaffee where she taught Sunday school. She was also a member of Ladies Society of Brotherhood Locomotive Firemen and Engineers, Ladies Auxiliary to VFW Post 10495 of Jackson, volunteered at the Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau, and the American Red Cross.
Survivors include a son, Charlie (Pat) Mantel of Indianapolis; two daughters, Connie Smith of Jackson, Carla (Gary) Wilke of Midlothian, Texas; nine grandsons; and 12 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two brothers; three sisters; and a special friend and companion, Vincent Schwartz.
A graveside service will be held at 2:30 p.m. today at Cape County Memorial Park in Cape Girardeau. The Rev. Jack Bishop will officiate, assisted by the Rev. Charles Lance.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials be sent to Calvary Baptist Church in Chaffee.