- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- New regents president named after Knudtson decides not to seek second term (12/18/17)
- Southeast rings bell for 807 December graduates (12/18/17)
It's our honor every July to recognize one deserving individual, among those nominated by you, our readers, as the recipient of the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. Before last night's demolition derby and fireworks at Arena Park sponsored by USA Veterans, we recognized this year's recipient, Kent Zickfield.
In addition to Zickfield's leadership in downtown Cape Girardeau, he's been an active member of several community organizations and his church. He's also a veteran, having served eight years in the Missouri National Guard.
One of his passions is supporting the youth of this community, which he has done through his involvement in local sports teams, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.
"Kent Zickfield is a true reflection of the Spirit of America," said Old Town Cape, in their nomination of him. "His hard work and leadership in this community have helped preserve our history as well as build our future." We agree and offer our congratulations to Zickfield and Old Town Cape, the organization he chose to receive the $1,000 cash prize.
One of the challenges with this award is selecting the winner. Each nominee is deserving of recognition, whether for their community involvement or military service. To each we offer our thanks. Thank you for caring. Thank you for serving. And thank you for demonstrating the spirit of America.