- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- Cape Chinese restaurant purchases old Ponderosa property in Perryville (10/10/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Ships to stay docked in Cape a week longer (10/10/17)
- Janet Koenig creates painted quilts to add flair to local barns (10/13/17)
It's our honor every July to recognize one deserving individual, among those nominated by you, our readers, as the recipient of the Southeast Missourian Spirit of America Award. Before last night's demolition derby and fireworks at Arena Park sponsored by USA Veterans, we recognized this year's recipient, Kent Zickfield.
In addition to Zickfield's leadership in downtown Cape Girardeau, he's been an active member of several community organizations and his church. He's also a veteran, having served eight years in the Missouri National Guard.
One of his passions is supporting the youth of this community, which he has done through his involvement in local sports teams, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.
"Kent Zickfield is a true reflection of the Spirit of America," said Old Town Cape, in their nomination of him. "His hard work and leadership in this community have helped preserve our history as well as build our future." We agree and offer our congratulations to Zickfield and Old Town Cape, the organization he chose to receive the $1,000 cash prize.
One of the challenges with this award is selecting the winner. Each nominee is deserving of recognition, whether for their community involvement or military service. To each we offer our thanks. Thank you for caring. Thank you for serving. And thank you for demonstrating the spirit of America.