- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Spirit of America nominee: Alice Wybert
Nominated by Bernetta Davis
Alice is a registered nurse and has spent most of her career caring for the elderly, helpless and terminally ill patients of our community. She continues to exhibit her love for God's creatures through her tireless work at Safe Harbor Animal Sanctuary. Every day she goes to the shelter to care for her animals. She does the physical work herself, with the help of a few volunteers. Every animal receives individual attention to meet his or her needs until they are given a new, loving home.
On any given day, Alice has 200 to 250 cats and 12 to 24 dogs, which she houses, feeds, provides with medical attention and most of all, she loves them.
Each of her animals have a name, and Alice knows them all. She knows the unfortunate situations which brought them to her and she does all in her power to provide love and security to each one of her clients.
She has rescued many helpless animals from abuse, neglect, cruelty, injury and death. They each are assured a safe, clean, comfortable home and have no fear for their future because Safe Harbor is a no-kill facility.
I applaud Alice for all the selfless hours she has given for the love of her little defenseless ones. Her work may go unnoticed by most, but it is with the spirit of love, compassion, selflessness and goodness that she has dedicated her life to this mission.
* St. Paul Lutheran Church, Jackson