- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Troops appreciated local support
I would like to take a few moments from fighting this war in Afghanistan to thank all of my friends, family and the local businesses who have been kind enough to send my platoon and I such wonderful care packages and heartfelt greetings, especially the gracious folks at Red Lobster. Though most of the men who serve with me are not from the heartland, because of your generosity they now know the warmth and hospitality of the fine folks of Southeast Missouri.
Everyday we brave some of the most harsh terrain and engage an unrelenting and determined enemy. I would be lying if I said that we don't sometimes wonder why it is we're fighting, but then we come back to our temporary shelters and we have these care packages waiting for us. It's in these moments that we are reminded of the fact that it is for the patriotic and generous folks such as yourselves in Southeast Missouri that we are willing to place life and limb in harm's way. It is people like you who unselfishly place the needs of others above your own, who have not forgotten those of us who are still out here fighting this war and defending the cause of freedom for our Afghan brothers and sisters.
On behalf of myself and the fine men of the "Black Sheep" Platoon, I say thank you and God bless.
SPC. JESSE A. VENABLE, Scott City, Mo.