- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Candidate questionnaire: Holly Rehder
NAME: Holly Rehder
PLACE OF BIRTH: Memphis, TN
SPOUSE'S, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
My husband is Ray Rehder. I have three children, Raychel, Johnny and Christian, and one grandbaby, Kayden Ray.
Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communication emphasizing in Public Relations. Double minor in Communications for Legal Professionals and Political Science.
Small business owner - telecommunications industry
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART:
Integrity Communications, Integrity Storage and Platinum Consulting.
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT; GIVE DATES:
This is my first public office sought.
EDUCATION FUNDING IS A HOT ISSUE IN THE MISSOURI LEGISLATURE. DO YOU THINK EDUCATION IN THE STATE SHOULD BE BETTER FUNDED, AND IF SO, WHERE WOULD YOU TAKE MONEY FROM TO FUND IT?
I do believe education should be better funded. Missouri ranks 48th in state growth, so our overall tax base is shrinking. We need to grow MO to increase funds. I believe the way to do this is to make MO a more business friendly state. By increasing job growth, we increase the tax base allowing more funds for education.
HOW DO WE BALANCE THE BUDGET: CUT PROGRAMS, RAISE TAXES AND OTHER REVENUE, OR BOTH?
Cut and/or trim down programs. All government programs should be carefully reviewed every few years to determine their effectiveness, and cut when found not effective. There is much waste, fraud and abuse in the welfare system, Missouri's tax credit system and food stamp program.
HOW WOULD YOU WORK TO ATTRACT ECONOMIC ACTIVITY TO YOUR DISTRICT?
Make Missouri as business friendly as possible. We need a Right-to-Work law, we need to make sure Missouri regulations never exceed federal regulations, and we need to change our Economic Development agency to a public/private partnership. The 148th district has lost industry to the surrounding Right-to-Work states, we need to be competitive. States that have changed their Economic Development agencies from a bureaucratic model to a private sector/public model, have increased industry.
My goal is to further our district economically, while retaining our rural way of life. The 148th district is like a diamond in the rough; two major highways with a vast waterway, the perfect location for agriculture and industry. My husband and I started our business from the ground up. I have business experience and legislative experience, fighting for my personal business and industry in Jefferson City. I humbly ask for your vote, thank you.