- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- New CEO named at Wood & Huston Bank (8/21/16)
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Police: Woman beat another woman with a bat over a pair of shoes (8/21/16)2
What happens at City Hall affects REALTORS
What happens at city hall often affects home owners and, thus, the real estate agents who market and sell those homes. That is the premise which motivated the Cape Girardeau County Board of REALTORS to form a Government Affairs Committee.
Reviewing and making recommendations on Cape Girardeau's proposed ordinance governing rental properties is one of the committee's first orders of business. As REALTORS who represent investors and sometimes manage properties, the group's members could be affected by the statute. The committee is currently reviewing the proposal.
Monitoring regulations about Rural Development loans and designated areas is another topic of concern for committee members. Questions about that issue were posed to Representative JoAnn Emerson at the local association's most recent luncheon.
With those issues as on-going concerns, the committee is also considering whether or not to recommend an endorsement of a candidate for Cape Girardeau County Assessor. Of particular concern to real estate agents is modernization of county records, timely reporting, and increased ease of access to information. Three candidates have agreed to meet with the committee. Following the interview, GAC will decide whether or not to recommend that the local Board endorse one of the candidates.
Members are chairperson Ken Kiefer (Realty Executives), Liz Lockhart (Riverbend Realty), Dave Soto (Soto Property Solutions), Tom M. Meyer (Exit Realty), and Rick Sinclair (Century 21Ashland).