- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Fourth of July
In less than two weeks we'll celebrate Independence Day. If you're in town for the Fourth there are several community events worth your consideration.
In Cape Girardeau the members of USA Veterans will host a celebration in Arena Park. A washers tournaments starts at 9 a.m., and throughout the day there will be food and merchandise booths set up. Before the demolition derby at 6 p.m. the Southeast Missourian will recognize its Spirit of America Award recipient. A 20 minute fireworks display will follow the demolition derby. Many have already contributed to the USA Veterans organization, but additional financial support is appreciated as this event is not paid for by the city.
Jackson will host a number of events as well on July 4, including the return of mud volleyball. The day's schedule start at 7:30 a.m. and concludes with the fireworks display at 9:30 p.m. Among the festivities scheduled are a car show, Jackson Independence Day 5K and live entertainment. For more information on these festivities and others, check out www.semoevents.com.
Thank you to all involved in the planning of these events. There's plenty to do locally on July 4, and we hope you enjoy some safe fun close to home.