- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)34
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Keeping Social Security solvent
Republicans must wonder about congresswoman Emerson's sincerity on spending cuts. In the Southeast Missourian on Tuesday, the congresswoman railed against a wasteful, ineffective federal government. On the same page, there were records of two spending cut votes proposed in Congress.
Missouri Republican congressmen Sam Graves, Vicky Hartzler, Billy Long and Blaine Luetkemeyer voted to decrease funding for the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C., by $1.2 million. Missouri Democrat congressmen Russ Carnahan, William Lacy Clay, Emanuel Cleaver and Republican Jo Ann Emerson opposed the cuts.
Another program up for vote would have cut $1 million from the Washington-located Open World Leadership Center "that educates foreign leaders about democratic principles." Missouri Republican congressmen Sam Graves, Vicky Hartzler, Billy Long and Blaine Luetkemeyer voted to decrease funding. Missouri Democrat congressmen Russ Carnahan, William Lacy Clay, Emanuel Cleaver and Republican Jo Ann Emerson opposed the cuts.
When legislators refuse to cut spending, the Treasury Department must seek more funding. Before they borrow from the Chinese, they first draw from collected payroll taxes that were originally intended to fund Social Security.
Bob Parker will prioritize keeping Social Security solvent by cutting spending. He will not subsidize tourist attractions and foreign dignitary boondoggles. Vote Republican on Aug. 7.
LT. COL. LARRY BILL, U.S. Air Force, Retired, 2543 Prairie View Trail, Jackson, MO 63755