- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)4
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)5
Keeping Social Security solvent
Republicans must wonder about congresswoman Emerson's sincerity on spending cuts. In the Southeast Missourian on Tuesday, the congresswoman railed against a wasteful, ineffective federal government. On the same page, there were records of two spending cut votes proposed in Congress.
Missouri Republican congressmen Sam Graves, Vicky Hartzler, Billy Long and Blaine Luetkemeyer voted to decrease funding for the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C., by $1.2 million. Missouri Democrat congressmen Russ Carnahan, William Lacy Clay, Emanuel Cleaver and Republican Jo Ann Emerson opposed the cuts.
Another program up for vote would have cut $1 million from the Washington-located Open World Leadership Center "that educates foreign leaders about democratic principles." Missouri Republican congressmen Sam Graves, Vicky Hartzler, Billy Long and Blaine Luetkemeyer voted to decrease funding. Missouri Democrat congressmen Russ Carnahan, William Lacy Clay, Emanuel Cleaver and Republican Jo Ann Emerson opposed the cuts.
When legislators refuse to cut spending, the Treasury Department must seek more funding. Before they borrow from the Chinese, they first draw from collected payroll taxes that were originally intended to fund Social Security.
Bob Parker will prioritize keeping Social Security solvent by cutting spending. He will not subsidize tourist attractions and foreign dignitary boondoggles. Vote Republican on Aug. 7.
LT. COL. LARRY BILL, U.S. Air Force, Retired, 2543 Prairie View Trail, Jackson, MO 63755