- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Rep. Lichtenegger proposes change to term limits (12/4/17)7
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Buffalo Wild Wings moving to new location in March (12/2/17)2
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Keeping Social Security solvent
Republicans must wonder about congresswoman Emerson's sincerity on spending cuts. In the Southeast Missourian on Tuesday, the congresswoman railed against a wasteful, ineffective federal government. On the same page, there were records of two spending cut votes proposed in Congress.
Missouri Republican congressmen Sam Graves, Vicky Hartzler, Billy Long and Blaine Luetkemeyer voted to decrease funding for the U.S. Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C., by $1.2 million. Missouri Democrat congressmen Russ Carnahan, William Lacy Clay, Emanuel Cleaver and Republican Jo Ann Emerson opposed the cuts.
Another program up for vote would have cut $1 million from the Washington-located Open World Leadership Center "that educates foreign leaders about democratic principles." Missouri Republican congressmen Sam Graves, Vicky Hartzler, Billy Long and Blaine Luetkemeyer voted to decrease funding. Missouri Democrat congressmen Russ Carnahan, William Lacy Clay, Emanuel Cleaver and Republican Jo Ann Emerson opposed the cuts.
When legislators refuse to cut spending, the Treasury Department must seek more funding. Before they borrow from the Chinese, they first draw from collected payroll taxes that were originally intended to fund Social Security.
Bob Parker will prioritize keeping Social Security solvent by cutting spending. He will not subsidize tourist attractions and foreign dignitary boondoggles. Vote Republican on Aug. 7.
LT. COL. LARRY BILL, U.S. Air Force, Retired, 2543 Prairie View Trail, Jackson, MO 63755