- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)2
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)2
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
Girardot Chapter awards Scholarship
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo., June 20, 2012 -- Yaszmin Clemons, a resident of Charleston, MO, makes a 45-mile trek to and from Metro Business College on North Kingshighway in Cape Girardeau daily to attend classes toward completion of her certificate as an Administrative Assistant. The financial burden this represents will be relieved a bit as the local chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) awarded her the Girardot Chapter's fall 2012 scholarship. Yaszmin was congratulated by the members of the Girardot Chapter at their regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, June 19, at the VFW Hall. The $650 scholarship is made possible by the fundraising efforts of the entire chapter.
Once Yaszmin completes the Administrative Assistant's certificate, she plans to pursue an associate's degree in Business and Computer Specialist, also offered through Metro Business College. Ms. Clemons is the mother of three children ranging in age from two to seven years; needless to say, she works hard at home and at school, as reflected by her grades. Ms. Clemons graduated from Charleston High School in 2006; while there she participated in Future Teachers of America (FTA), Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD), DARE, Success Club, Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (Gear Up), Upward Bound, Youth Educational Adventures (Y.E.A.) and many other activities. Today she is actively involved in her community as a member of Mercy Seat M.B. Church, Arthur Cassel, Pastor in Charleston, the P.E.P Program, and Parents as teachers. She served over eight years with 4-H.
The Girardot Chapter scholarship is offered annually to a student pursuing a degree in an administrative or office systems program at Metro Business College and will assist in defraying the cost of tuition, fees, books, and other program-related expenses. Since the scholarship program was established in 1979, the chapter has presented scholarships exceeding $11,400 to more than 27 individuals.
For further information call Fran Scholl at (573)651-2061.