- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Concealed-carry restrictions remain in Missouri despite new state law (9/18/16)22
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)6
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of beating a grandmother to death with baseball bat (9/18/16)
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
Speak Out 6/20/12
God in America
"God bless the USA." We are the nation that is land of the free, home of the brave, and yet we are a nation that is being told to honor a Christian God is politically incorrect. How is it that I must forgo my religious freedom so that someone else is not offended? There is a growing trend in America that should alarm us all; we have moved so far to the left we are balanced on the precipice of communism. Wake up, America. God better bless the USA because our politicians want to destroy the USA I was born in.
Ronald Reagan dealt with a serious recession by spending on public sector jobs to get the economy out of the doldrums. Many Republican members of Congress want to do this as well but will not take any action until they defeat President Obama. Then, they promise, they will once again start putting people ahead of politics. But can we afford to wait?
For several years I have watched one of my neighbors throw his yard refuse onto public school property, and the school employees have dutifully removed it. He has done it again this year, and I'm sure the school workers will take care of it. The money I pay for the school maintenance is not intended to accommodate people in the surrounding neighborhood. Just as it is illegal to use someone else's Dumpster, there is probably a law to cover this. I want school officials to know that not all your neighbors are like this and apologize for the continued vandalism by this one individual.