- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)7
- Crowell leads effort to cut low-income tax credits in Missouri (11/19/17)6
In today's world technology plays a major role. The use of smartphones, tablets, laptops and other computer devices can make work more efficient. Likewise, young people are increasingly becoming more tech-savy. So it's no surprise that some schools are implementing more technology in the delivery of education.
The Cape Girardeau School District may soon follow this lead through the "1:1" initiative. The district is looking into purchasing laptops or netbooks for some classrooms in the coming school year. Depending on how this experience turns out, the program could go districtwide.
The proposition of having a computer or tablet for every student is a nice idea, but there are a number of issues to consider before moving forward. In a two-part story that recently appeared in the Southeast Missourian several of these issues were addressed.
The good news is that the district appears willing to move slowly and hear from a range of people.
A committee including teachers, administrators, parents and other community members will hold meetings this summer. The first will be 5:30 p.m. June 25 at the central district offices, 301 N. Clark Ave.
If you have an opinion or any special insight on the issue, we hope you'll attend and share your thoughts with the committee.