- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)1
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
In today's world technology plays a major role. The use of smartphones, tablets, laptops and other computer devices can make work more efficient. Likewise, young people are increasingly becoming more tech-savy. So it's no surprise that some schools are implementing more technology in the delivery of education.
The Cape Girardeau School District may soon follow this lead through the "1:1" initiative. The district is looking into purchasing laptops or netbooks for some classrooms in the coming school year. Depending on how this experience turns out, the program could go districtwide.
The proposition of having a computer or tablet for every student is a nice idea, but there are a number of issues to consider before moving forward. In a two-part story that recently appeared in the Southeast Missourian several of these issues were addressed.
The good news is that the district appears willing to move slowly and hear from a range of people.
A committee including teachers, administrators, parents and other community members will hold meetings this summer. The first will be 5:30 p.m. June 25 at the central district offices, 301 N. Clark Ave.
If you have an opinion or any special insight on the issue, we hope you'll attend and share your thoughts with the committee.