- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
Here's to you, Dad
If you are a father and holding this newspaper in your hand, you're probably one of the good guys. Well-informed, educated and responsible.
You probably have changed diapers. Coached ballgames. Taken your child or children to church. You've probably been up during the wee hours, either trying to get your baby to sleep or hoping your teen comes home safely. You might have talked to your children about the good and bad things of life, of being responsible and treating others with respect. You've had to punish. Teach. Love.
You've had to learn from your parenting mistakes, apologize when you've been wrong, stand firm when you were right.
You've sacrificed with empty wallets and worn shoes. You've planned college funds. Somehow found enough money to give your daughter dance lessons or send your son to sports camp. You've baited hooks, pushed swings and tickled ribs.
You've hounded about the importance of grades, not settling for anything but the best effort possible. You've silently prayed on first dates and college send-offs. You may have shed a tear or two at a wedding.
You might have given a hug during a difficult time, stood steadfastly at "no," brushed aside hurtful words.
If you've done any of these things, thank you. You're making all the difference in the world.
If you're not a father, but you recognize these descriptions, give your father or your friend a hug today. Statistics show that so many children today do not have active fathers in their lives, and our society suffers greatly as a result. If you've got a good dad or a good father figure in your life, consider yourself fortunate.
Happy Father's Day, everyone.