- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)4
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Here's to you, Dad
If you are a father and holding this newspaper in your hand, you're probably one of the good guys. Well-informed, educated and responsible.
You probably have changed diapers. Coached ballgames. Taken your child or children to church. You've probably been up during the wee hours, either trying to get your baby to sleep or hoping your teen comes home safely. You might have talked to your children about the good and bad things of life, of being responsible and treating others with respect. You've had to punish. Teach. Love.
You've had to learn from your parenting mistakes, apologize when you've been wrong, stand firm when you were right.
You've sacrificed with empty wallets and worn shoes. You've planned college funds. Somehow found enough money to give your daughter dance lessons or send your son to sports camp. You've baited hooks, pushed swings and tickled ribs.
You've hounded about the importance of grades, not settling for anything but the best effort possible. You've silently prayed on first dates and college send-offs. You may have shed a tear or two at a wedding.
You might have given a hug during a difficult time, stood steadfastly at "no," brushed aside hurtful words.
If you've done any of these things, thank you. You're making all the difference in the world.
If you're not a father, but you recognize these descriptions, give your father or your friend a hug today. Statistics show that so many children today do not have active fathers in their lives, and our society suffers greatly as a result. If you've got a good dad or a good father figure in your life, consider yourself fortunate.
Happy Father's Day, everyone.