- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Candidate questionnaire: Leo McElrath
NAME: Leo E. McElrath III
PLACE OF BIRTH: St Louis, Missouri
SPOUSE'S, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Paula E. McElrath-Wife
Leo E. McElrath IV-Son
Initial law enforcement training at the Missouri Highway Patrol Academy, 27 years as a Missouri State Trooper receiving numerous annual training and specialty schools. Have attended National Sheriff's Academy in Denver, Colorado
OCCUPATION: Sheriff of Bollinger County
Bollinger County Sheriff's Office
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART:
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT; GIVE DATES:
Bollinger County Sheriff January 1, 2009 to present
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST CRIME ISSUE FACING BOLLINGER COUNTY?
Drug violations and burglary.
DO YOU FEEL THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT HAS A GOOD REPUTATION? HOW WOULD YOU PRESERVE OR IMPROVE ON THAT REPUTATION?
Yes! My officers work hard and are honest. When a problem arises and they always do in any organization that employes a diverse group of individuals it is delt with openly and swiftly. I have always had an open door policy and my employees are instructed to give out my personal cell number to who ever needs to contact me at any time of the day or night.
DOES YOUR DEPARTMENT HAVE WHAT IT NEEDS IN TERMS OF RESOURCES TO KEEP THE COUNTY SAFE?
We could always use more, but we make what we have work. We realize that we have to work within a tight budget and we had to make some difficult cuts, but we are better for them. We do not have an officer on duty 24 hours a day, but neither does the Highway Patrol and they work with 14 officers and we only have 6. Our officers are on standby and can respond quickly.
I feel that I am the most qualified man for this job, I have the experience the training, and I have worked in law enforcement all my life. This is not just a job to me this is a commitment to serve the citizens. I have tried to bring fair and professional law enforcement to everyone. If re-elected I pledge to work hard to continue to improve on the quality of safety for all citizens.