- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)32
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Candidate questionnaire: Mike Carter
NAME: Mike Carter
PLACE OF BIRTH: St. Louis Missouri
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Hollie, Hannah, Jack
University of Missouri St. Louis -- Pol Sci & Philosophy '00
University of Missouri Columbia -- Juris Doctor, Law Degree '04
University of Missouri Columbia -- Master of Journalism '04
Hazelwood West High School -- 1990
Real Estate Attorney, Senior Lecturer, Corp Gen Counsel, Defense Attorney
Carter Law Offices LLC, University of Missouri St. Louis, StopRepairBills.com
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART: Carter Law Offices, LLC
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT; GIVE DATES:
Wentzville Municipal Judge -- 2009-2011
Director St. Louis Real Estate Board -- Current
WHAT CAN THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR DO TO ATTRACT MORE JOBS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT TO MISSOURI?
Nothing. Any candidate that tells you otherwise is being disingenuous. However, because the office does get some media attention; the office holder can do his/her best to trumpet the benefits of Missouri's business climate and try to put some pressure on state actors to make Missouri a more business friendly state -- while at the same time ensuring that Missouri's hard working citizens have a good quality of life.
THE CURRENT LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR HAS MADE CLEAR HIS PERSONAL OPPOSITION TO HEALTH CARE REFORM. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE LAW?
The personal mandate is problematic, anti-liberty, and anti-American-Constitution. The very foundations of the American way of life cannot jibe with forcing a citizen to buy something (in this case health care) simply because s/he is alive. Now, if you want to drive a car, certain conditions can be placed on that. However, it defies American-based/Constitutionally-based logic to place similar restrictions on a person by virtue of their being alive. Health Care System Needs Improvement.
HOW CAN THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR BEST SERVE THE STATE OF MISSOURI?
By treating the position as the part-time position that it is. Using the position as a stepping stone and personal public relations platform does NOTHING for Missouri. Running around the state handing out meaningless awards is a waste of time. The office holder should participate in the boards required of the office and minimize the MASSIVE superfluous goings on that the office slips into from time to time.
I will treat the position as the part-time position that it is while ensuring that all of its responsibilities are attended to. I will use the position to garner as much attention as possible to the banning of red-light cameras and other big-government intrusions. If the office cannot serve or be given a meaningful purpose then I will work to cut the outrageous ~$85,000 salary or eliminate the office entirely.