- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
'4K' in Jackson for XC Anti Cancer Bike Ride
As part of the 4K for Cancer program, 30 college students will cycle across the country raising funds and awareness for the fight against young adult cancer. Starting from Baltimore's Inner Harbor, the riders will spend 70 days and 4000+ miles on the road, finishing in San Francisco, California. Every day on the ride, each rider's mission is to inspire and unite local community members affected by cancer.
The 4K for Cancer engages college students from across the nation to participate in a summer-long 4,000+ mile transcontinental bike ride. Through personal fundraising efforts and donations made along the route, riders raise money that directly supports the Ulman Cancer Fund For Young Adults Patient Navigation Programs. These programs offer comprehensive health services to young adult cancer patients, working in conjunction with multi-disciplinary medical care teams, social work staff, and other care providers.
"The 4K for Cancer is a testament to what can be accomplished when a passionate and dedicated group of young adults commit to something bigger than themselves. Through this program, we are able to unite communities across the country and raise funds necessary to support young adults here in Baltimore. 4K is a life changing experience - both for the riders and the cancer patients it will benefit."
President & CEO, Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults
4K for Cancer riders seek to raise awareness, provide monetary assistance and perform service for communities affected by cancer across the nation. Each rider must raise a minimum of $4,500 to participate on the ride, the money is raised to support the various direct patient services offered by the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. Since its inception in 2001, the 4K for Cancer has raised over $1 million for the fight against cancer.
4K for Cancer will be accepting online donations at 4kforcancer.org/profiles/general-fund/. For more information or to follow the riders, please visit http://4kforcancer.org/2012-team-san-francisco/ or on twitter: @4KforCancer.