- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Downtown Cape Girardeau has been busy with construction crews in recent weeks as the Broadway corridor project moves from Water to Pacific streets. The construction is coming along nicely, the first tangible results coming into focus.
In March we wrote that the project would be massive. Between 16,000 and 19,000 vehicles travel Broadway daily, according to the Missouri Department of Transportation. Add to that the grand vision and a $4.5 million price tag and it's clear that this is a significant job. But for the size, scope and unexpected issues that can come with any major construction, we're pleased with the work of Fronabarger Concreters and their coordination with the city.
Business owners should also be commended for their efforts. Several have spruced up secondary entrances. Others have found ways to expand their business and better communicate with customers. Hopefully these decisions will help improve business even after the corridor is finished.
According to the city's contract with Fronabarger, Broadway must be open by Nov. 5. The good news is that at this point sources say the work is ahead of schedule, though paving and landscaping will continue in the following months.
To all those involved in the effort -- workers, city leaders, businesses and customers -- we say thank you. A new and improved Broadway should be here in a few months.