- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Judge denies request to revoke sheriff's bond (6/25/17)3
Local People Establish Dental Clinic in Haiti
Thirteen people, including three dentists, from Cape traveled to Croix des Bouquets, Haiti to establish a dental clinic from May 23 to May 27. Croix des Bouquets is a small village, which is forty five minute drive from Port Au Prince.
The Cape Girardeau Zonta Club partners with the Haitian American Caucus to donate various items for their school and women's programs. Of the thirteen on the team, four women are members of the club: Cheryl Mothes, Dr. Kim Kesser, Jennifer Hendrickson, and Dr. Janet Ruopp. Dr Jan recruited her husband, Dr. Patrick Ruopp and associate dentist Dr. Nathan Seyer to provide care in the three day dental clinic.
The team delivered twenty-six suitcases filled with various dental supplies, baby clothes, birthing kits and other supplies for agencies in the area. This was the 4th Zonta team to travel to Haiti, and was the first trip made for the dental clinic. The clinic, set up in a school classroom, treated over 300 patients in three days. Some members of the team also visited and donated supplies to the Apparent Project, a program designed to economically support families enough to feed their children. Infant supplies were also delivered to the Mother Theresa hospital.
For more pictures visit our Facebook page!