- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Cape Legion wins opener in tourney
Ford & Sons Cape Girardeau Senior American Legion Post 63 won its opening game in the 16-team Fighting Squirrel Classic with a 15-5 victory against New Bloomfield Legion in five innings Thursday at Notre Dame.
Cam Womack and Alex McRaven both had three hits and two RBIs for Cape, which improved to 8-5.
Trey Gardner and Nick Essner both added two hits in the win.
Ronnie Scott posted the win on the mound. He allowed seven hits and five runs over four innings. He struck out one and did not walk a batter.
Cape advanced to today's 5 p.m. quarterfinal against the Missouri Bulls 16U at Notre Dame.
The Bulls defeated Park Hills Legion 4-0.
In other action at Notre Dame, Elsberry Legion defeated the Jackson Senior Babe Ruth team 9-7.
Kennett Senior Babe Ruth, Mayfield (Ky.) Legion, Charleston Senior Babe Ruth and the Poplar Bluff Senior Babe Ruth posted wins in the other half of the bracket in Charleston, Mo.
-- From staff reports