- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Cape Legion wins opener in tourney
Ford & Sons Cape Girardeau Senior American Legion Post 63 won its opening game in the 16-team Fighting Squirrel Classic with a 15-5 victory against New Bloomfield Legion in five innings Thursday at Notre Dame.
Cam Womack and Alex McRaven both had three hits and two RBIs for Cape, which improved to 8-5.
Trey Gardner and Nick Essner both added two hits in the win.
Ronnie Scott posted the win on the mound. He allowed seven hits and five runs over four innings. He struck out one and did not walk a batter.
Cape advanced to today's 5 p.m. quarterfinal against the Missouri Bulls 16U at Notre Dame.
The Bulls defeated Park Hills Legion 4-0.
In other action at Notre Dame, Elsberry Legion defeated the Jackson Senior Babe Ruth team 9-7.
Kennett Senior Babe Ruth, Mayfield (Ky.) Legion, Charleston Senior Babe Ruth and the Poplar Bluff Senior Babe Ruth posted wins in the other half of the bracket in Charleston, Mo.
-- From staff reports