- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Dexter hotel manager charged with brandishing ax at customer
BLOOMFIELD, Mo. -- A Dexter, Mo., hotel manager has been arrested following a dispute in which authorities say he brandished an ax.
Hemant "Harry" S. Patel, 35, was charged with second-degree assault and armed criminal action Monday.
According to a probable-cause affidavit, Dexter police officer Lori O'Dell received a report Sunday of a male subject wielding an ax at the Econolodge in Dexter.
Patel reportedly told O'Dell that he and the customer had a heated argument regarding a reservation and a room rate. He said the customer acted like he was going to punch him, so he went to a room adjoining the front desk and retrieved a wooden-handled ax.
He posted the required 10 percent of his $2,500 bond.
He was to appear for arraignment Thursday before Judge Joe Z. Satterfield.