- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Southeast Missourian Player of the Week: Cape Central's Chase Hagerty
Chase Hagerty delivered yet again for the Central baseball team.
The freshman pitched his third complete-game victory in the Tigers' first four playoff games. No. 3 came against Festus in the Class 4 sectional round.
"I just have a lot of confidence in my team right now," Hagerty said. "I guarantee you we're one of the best teams right now, and the way we're playing, the way we're hitting, the way we're fielding -- just everything's been a step up from the beginning on the season. We're ready to go."
Hagaert struck out two and walked one in Central's 6-4 sectional win over Festus.
"The one thing you can count on with Chase, he's going to compete," Central coach Steve Williams said. "He's not going to give you anything less than his best. When you put him out there, you know you're going to get his effort, so you don't have to worry about that.
"He had good velocity today. He got ahead most of the time. He had a decent breaking ball when he needed it. His changeup wasn't quite as good as it was last week, but his curveball was better. He had enough stuff to be effective, and he threw enough strikes and got ahead of people enough to where our defense was in the right place."
Central, which lost to Rockwood Summit in the state quarterfinal round, finished its season 12-15.