- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Veteran-Led Service Project Seeks Volunteers
For the second year in a row, The Mission Continues and FOX Sports Midwest are teaming up to facilitate three large-scale service projects in the region. The veteran-led "Summer Service Slam" will hit Cape Girardeau on Saturday, June 9, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Volunteers will landscape and beautify around the Cape Jr./Middle School's baseball field, repair and install goal posts and foul poles, along with several painting projects including dugouts, scoreboard and bleachers. The field is located at 205 Caruthers, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63701.
Mission Continues Fellowship Program Alumnus Robert Wake is leading the project. Now retired, Wake served over 20 years in the U.S. Army. Wake served his Mission Continues Fellowship with the American Red Cross, providing emergency notifications to military members and families. After his six month fellowship ended, Wake has continued to serve at the American Red Cross as a dedicated volunteer.
Broadcaster and former Cardinals pitcher Al Hrabosky will be in attendance at the Cape Girardeau project. FOX Sports Midwest is using Cardinals telecasts to recruit volunteers for the project and will be onsite on June 9 to tape and share the story of the project with viewers.
Veteran and civilian volunteers are encouraged to register for this project by visiting: https://missioncontinues.org/events_cale... or by calling 314-588-8805.