- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Out of the past 5/28/12
25 years ago: May 28, 1987
A new program designed to bind Cape Girardeau businesses into a united front against crime kicked off last night, when about 90 local business people attended the city's first "Business Watch" meeting.
Restoration of the interior of Old St. Vincent's Church could be essentially completed by the end of the summer; refurbishing of the walls and most of the woodwork has been finished; the columns are nearing completion; yet to be done is the sanding of the oak floor and installation of the pews.
50 years ago: May 28, 1962
Dr. Lindley Stiles, Dean of the School of Education at the University of Wisconsin, tells the 277 graduates at State College to "reach up for learning that liberty may survive"; an overflow crowd fills the college auditorium to hear the address and see the conferring of degrees.
Construction of a store building containing 12,000 square feet of floor space for the Orscheln Farm & Home Supply Co. has been placed underway on Bloomfield Road at the intersection of Christine Street; the new store should open about Aug. 1.
75 years ago: May 28, 1937
Elmer Leimer has obtained a three-year lease from Mr. and Mrs. Maurice A. Short on three acres of land on their farm, a mile north of Jackson on Highway 25; Leimer will erect a stone crusher on the land and will produce road building material and probably commercial limestone for agricultural use; about 25 years ago, Henry Taylor opened the quarry that Leimer will work.
Options have been taken on lots running through the entire block at 120 S. Spanish St., and 120 S. Main St., upon which it has been proposed to construct a new Salvation Army building.
100 years ago: May 28, 1912
Thousands of yards of bunting are drenched by the hard downpour of rain in the morning, as delegates to the Knights Templar convention arrive; the steamer Quincy arrives around 5 a.m. with 263 aboard, about 100 of the party being ladies; the steamer Dubuque brings Knights from commanderies at Hannibal, Canton, Kirksville, Macon, Brookfield, Moberly, Liberty and other Missouri towns.
Conway Ivy won the regent's medal in oratory at the Normal School last night; Allison Reppy came in second.
-- Sharon K. Sanders