- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Altenburg Truck Pull set for Saturday, June 2
The East Perry Community Fair will be hosting a 4X4 truck pull at the fairgrounds in Altenburg on Saturday, June 2, beginning at 3:00 pm. Following the truck pull at last year's fair, members of the fair board held discussions with the drivers that had pulled in that event on what it would take to hold a stand-alone pull in 2012. The board members were told that truck pulls in other areas did not draw good crowds because of several reasons. First, admission prices are too high for a family to afford to attend; second, most places lack the facilities to have a good pull; third, the sleds at the pulls do not provide fair and competitive pulling; and finally, the events do not pay enough prize money to attract the best pulling trucks to travel any distance to compete.
The fair board has addressed all of these concerns in planning for the upcoming pull. The admission prices at the pull will be $5.00 for adults and children age 12 and under will be admitted free. The pull track has been lengthened by almost 100 feet and widened at one end to allow for a longer and safer pulling area. The pull will use an X-Factor sled from Bungart Motorsports LLC of Jefferson City, Missouri. This company operates seven full-size sleds and provides sleds throughout the Midwest for the National Tractor Pullers of America, the Lucas Oil Pro Pulling Series, and most of the other major truck and tractor pulling sanctions.
There will be a total of ten classes of trucks at our event and the fair signed twelve sponsors at $500 each to be able to pay a total of $6,000 in addition to 100% of the puller entry fees as prize money. The pit gate will open at 1:00 pm. Hook fees will be $20.00 per class with two free pit passes per truck and additional pit passes will be $10.00. Contact has been made with pullers throughout east central and south east Missouri, west central and southern Illinois, northwest Arkansas, western Kentucky, and western Tennessee. Several trucks from as distant as 150 miles have committed to compete in the event which may have over 100 sled pulls.
While the pull is being organized and managed by the fair, it will truly be a community event that will involve other non-profit organizations. The River Hills Antique Tractor Club will assist with the on-track operations of the pull and the registration and scoring of the event; the Heartland Social Club will collect for the gate admissions; and the concessions stands will be staffed by the Old Appleton Brush Hawks and the parent-teacher organizations of Altenburg Public School and United in Christ Lutheran School. These groups will share in the profits of the pull if it is successful.
Following the completion of the truck pull there will be live music from CommonThread. Classes, rules, and additional information on the pull is available at "Altenburg Truck Pull" on Facebook or by calling 573-768-5448 for pulling rules and technical information and 573-824-5513 for other information.