- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)8
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
Shape Up Cape
An Associated Press story earlier this month pointed out that over a third of U.S. adults are considered obese. Also noted in the story was data from 2009 and 2010 listing 17 percent of U.S. children and teens as obese. These numbers are concerning, especially when considering the number of diseases that can be brought on by being overweight and the rising costs of health care.
The Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce is doing its part to help the community shed a few pounds and get healthier. A number of area businesses have registered teams to participate in the 11th annual Shape Up Cape, an effort organized by the Chamber. Starting in June the results from the contest will be listed on the Tuesday Health page of the Southeast Missourian.
Though the deadline to register a team in the contest has passed, it's not too late to start your own personal weight loss program. Cape Girardeau, Jackson and the surrounding communities have several facilities where individuals can exercise. And with warmer temperatures upon us, you can also take advantage of the area's many parks and trails.
Congratulations to all those who have made the decision to lose weight and start a healthier lifestyle.