- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
BERTRAND, Mo. -- John Warren Merrick, 63, of Bertrand died Monday, May 21, 2012, at his home.
He was born Oct. 7, 1948, in Cape Girardeau, to the late Bob M. and Charlene Ruth "Cricket" Warren Merrick. He married his high school sweetheart, J. Jane Caldwell, July 19, 1969.
Merrick lived in Scott County his entire life and was a 1966 graduate of Kelly High School and attended Southeast Missouri State University.
He was a farmer and worked for Thomas W. Kelly School District. He enjoyed hunting and fishing, and was an athlete. He was of the Baptist belief.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Robert Caldwell Merrick of Springfield, Mo.; four sisters, retired Maj. Christy J. Merrick and Candace L. Merrick of Shawnee, Kan.; Robin M. (Byars) Clark of Vienna, W.Va., Camella (David) Folsom of Basehor, Kan.; two grandsons, Connor Joseph Merrick and Bryce Robert Merrick of Springfield; and numerous cousins, nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at McMikle Funeral Home in Charleston, Mo.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home. Ron Spell, pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church in Sikeston, Mo., will officiate. Interment will be in IOOF Cemetery near Charleston.
Pallbearers will be Kenny Wells, Conrad Caldwell, Byars Clark, David Folsom, Charles White and Jim Cowger.
Memorials may be made to John Merrick Memorial Fund, Thomas W. Kelly High School, 4035 State Highway 77, Benton, MO 63736; or to charity of donor's choice.
Online condolences may be shared at www.mcmiklefuneralhome.com.