- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Southeast Missourian Player of the Week: Cape Central's Pablo Jaramillo
Central's Pablo Jaramillo racked up the victories on the tennis court, and the accolades followed.
The junior helped lead the Tigers to the Class 2 District 1 team title then followed that with the Class 2 District 1 individual singles crown.
Jaramillo cruised past Mehlville's Black Tenberthy 6-0, 6-2 in the team semifinals. Neither he nor any of his Central teammates had to play a doubles match in the semifinals because the Tigers swept the singles matches.
Jaramillo continued his dominance in the district title match against Oakville. He posted 6-0, 6-0 victory over Alex Bergman in singles play.
Jaramillo then clinched the district team title for the Tigers when he teamed with Sam Stahly for a 6-2, 6-1 win in doubles action.
"Just being consistent and remembering to bend my knees," Jaramillo said about what he did well in district play. "Just stay focused on the match and don't start looking at other matches or the people who are watching my match because that just gets me out of my focus and I start losing points like that."
Jaramillo capped his outstanding week by only dropping two games over three matches in individual district singles play. He defeated Bergman for the second time in a week, this time 6-0, 6-1, for the individual district title.