- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Virgil Mowery Sr.
Editor's note: The spelling of a family member's name has been corrected for this obituary.
Virgil W. Mowery Sr., 89, of Oak Ridge died Tuesday, May 15, 2012, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born July 9, 1922, in Kline, W.Va., to Chester and Annie Lough Mowery. He and Nova Jane Darby were married Nov. 23, 1949, in Illmo.
Virgil served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.
He retired as a mechanic from Ford Groves. He was a member of First Baptist Church in Oak Ridge. He was an avid woodworker and cherished the times he spent working on cars with his grandsons.
Survivors include three daughters, Vickie (Rick) Naeger of Cape Girardeau, Connie (Julie Wheatley) Mowery of St. Louis, Cheryl Hill of Cape Girardeau; a son, Virgil Walter (Debbie) Mowery of Fruitland; a brother, Connie Mowery of West Virginia; two sisters, Macie Van Slyke of West Virginia, Hester Williams of Virginia; six grandchildren, Nathan, Kyle and Justin Mowery, Kristopher (Delphine) Naeger, Lauren (Ryan) Judd, Jason Lewis; and a great-grandchild, Parker Judd.
He was preceded in death by his wife; parents; a son, John Michael Mowery; and three brothers.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Lorimier Cemetery in Cape Girardeau, with full military rites.
Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com.