- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)36
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Three killed in accident on I-55 near Hayti
HAYTI, Mo. -- A single-vehicle rollover crash on Interstate 55 killed three people Sunday afternoon.
About 3:55 p.m., a Ford Expedition carrying 10 people southbound near the Hayti exit blew a tire, ran off the road and rolled over multiple times, said Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper Clark Parrott. Multiple people were ejected from the vehicle, he said. Investigators have not identified the victims, but said they all appeared to be from the state of Mississippi.
It was unclear Sunday evening what type of group was in the SUV.
"We know there were several children. We don't know any ages," said sheriff's department dispatcher Tim Gordon.
Authorities responded to the scene with five ambulances and four medical-evacuation helicopters, Gordon said.
Several victims were transported to Pemiscot Memorial Hospital in Hayti. Several were flown to Memphis, Tenn., Gordon said.
"If the injuries aren't as life-threatening they'll take them to Cape Girardeau," Gordon said.
Investigators closed the interstate while they cleared the scene. About 5:30 p.m., the interstate was opened back up, but was moving slowly because one lane remained closed.
The state Highway Patrol's Crash Reconstruction team was called to the scene.