- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Ellie Kidd Receives State Citizenship Award
Ellie Kidd, a senior at Cape Central High School, is one of fifteen Missouri students honored by the Missouri State Board of Education and the Missouri Bar as recipients of the 2012 Outstanding Achievement in Citizenship Award. She is pictured above with Cape Public Schools Board of Education President Stacy Kinder, left, CHS Principal Dr. Mike Cowan, and Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker, right, during a recognition ceremony at the April board of education meeting.
Ellie and her parents, Adam and Kay Kidd, attended a luncheon at the Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City where she received the state award which has been presented annually since 1990.
Students are selected on the basis of their academic achievement in civics and government courses, performance in civics and government-related extracurricular activities, and exemplary community service. Students also submit an essay about the importance of citizenship. The applications and essays are scored by members of the Advisory Committee on Citizenship Education, which is part of Missouri Bar's Citizenship Education Program. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education conducts the citizenship program with assistance and financial support from the Missouri Bar.