- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Ellie Kidd Receives State Citizenship Award
Ellie Kidd, a senior at Cape Central High School, is one of fifteen Missouri students honored by the Missouri State Board of Education and the Missouri Bar as recipients of the 2012 Outstanding Achievement in Citizenship Award. She is pictured above with Cape Public Schools Board of Education President Stacy Kinder, left, CHS Principal Dr. Mike Cowan, and Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker, right, during a recognition ceremony at the April board of education meeting.
Ellie and her parents, Adam and Kay Kidd, attended a luncheon at the Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City where she received the state award which has been presented annually since 1990.
Students are selected on the basis of their academic achievement in civics and government courses, performance in civics and government-related extracurricular activities, and exemplary community service. Students also submit an essay about the importance of citizenship. The applications and essays are scored by members of the Advisory Committee on Citizenship Education, which is part of Missouri Bar's Citizenship Education Program. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education conducts the citizenship program with assistance and financial support from the Missouri Bar.