- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Ellie Kidd Receives State Citizenship Award
Ellie Kidd, a senior at Cape Central High School, is one of fifteen Missouri students honored by the Missouri State Board of Education and the Missouri Bar as recipients of the 2012 Outstanding Achievement in Citizenship Award. She is pictured above with Cape Public Schools Board of Education President Stacy Kinder, left, CHS Principal Dr. Mike Cowan, and Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jim Welker, right, during a recognition ceremony at the April board of education meeting.
Ellie and her parents, Adam and Kay Kidd, attended a luncheon at the Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City where she received the state award which has been presented annually since 1990.
Students are selected on the basis of their academic achievement in civics and government courses, performance in civics and government-related extracurricular activities, and exemplary community service. Students also submit an essay about the importance of citizenship. The applications and essays are scored by members of the Advisory Committee on Citizenship Education, which is part of Missouri Bar's Citizenship Education Program. The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education conducts the citizenship program with assistance and financial support from the Missouri Bar.