- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
CASEYVILLE, Ill. -- Melvis F. "Mel" Stephens, 88, of Caseyville, formerly of Cahokia, Ill., died Sunday, May 6, 2012, at Caseyville Nursing and Rehab.
He was born March 16, 1924, in McGee, Mo., son of William and Cladza Smith Stephens.
Stephens was retired from Anchor Industries in St. Louis. He was a member of Emeth Lodge 1030 A.F. & A.M. of Cahokia, Ainad Temple, Scottish Rite Bodies Valley of Southern Illinois, Knights Templar and White Shrine of Jerusalem.
Mel was preceded in death by his first wife, Wanda Rowe Stephens; a brother, Willis Stephens; and two sisters, Jewell and Melba Stephens.
Survivors include his second wife, Dicy "Patsy" Smith Stephens; two daughters, Cheryl (Ron) Simons of Florissant, Mo., Michele (Bruce) Bruzina of Kahului, Hawaii; five grandchildren, Heather Williams, Jennifer Simons, Julia (Craig) Ruckman, Carrie (Ben Lowry) Simons and Michael Bruzina; three great-grandchildren, Chelsea Williams, Jackson "Jack" Lowry and Mack Ruckman; three stepchildren, Carl (Jennifer) Wells of Texas, Ken (Joann) Wells of California and Doug (Angie) Wells of Missouri; six stepgrandchildren, Preston, Tyler, Elizabeth, Brendon, Lindsey and Nathan Wells; and two great-stepgrandchildren, Zachary and Rain. He was a dear brother-in-law, uncle, cousin and friend.
Friends may call from 4 to 7:30 p.m. today at Braun Colonial Funeral Home in Cahokia, with a Masonic service at 7 p.m.; and from noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Morgan Funeral Home in Advance, Mo.
Funeral services will be at 7:30 p.m. today at Braun Funeral Home and at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Morgan Funeral Home. Interment will be in New Hope Cemetery at McGee.
Mel's family would like to express their sincere appreciation to the staff of Caseyville Nursing and Rehab and also Unity Hospice for the kind and courteous care that was given to Mel.
Memorials may be given to Pony Bird Inc., P.O. Box 190, Mapaville, Mo.