- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
Spotlight on ... The Tailor Institute
Jenny Knoderer began working with the Tailor Institute a few years ago as a freelancer, helping the not-for-profit organization develop its fundraising efforts. A year later, she was hired as the executive director of operations and fundraisers.
"The goal was to bring on more programs that were part of the long-term vision," she says. "And that's what we're doing now."
The Tailor Institute's main focus is helping individuals with autism "find their strengths and gifts and harnessing those things so that they can live a more vibrant life," Jenny says.
The institute was founded in 2003 by Dr. David Crowe, whose son Taylor is a high-functioning individual on the autism spectrum. So while Tailor is a play on Taylor's name, it is also a reflection on the institute's focus on tailoring services based on each individual's special skills and gifts.
The Tailor Institute is located at the Autism Center, though it is not affiliated with it. Jenny says the location is convenient for families who receive services at the center.
HOW TO HELP
"We run on grants and generosity," Jenny Knoderer says of the Tailor Institute.
If you'd like to donate, visit the website at www.thetailorinstitute.org. You can also contact Jenny at 573-339-9552 or email at email@example.com to inquire about in-kind donations or planned giving.