- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
2 hikers held in Iran marry in Calif.
SAN FRANCISCO -- Two Americans detained and accused of spying after hiking near the Iraq-Iran border three years ago were to be Saturday in the San Francisco Bay area.
A private wedding ceremony for Shane Bauer and Sarah Shourd was set for 4 p.m. at an undisclosed location, said San Francisco lawyer and family friend Ben Rosenfeld.
Bauer, Shourd and Josh Fattal were arrested July 31, 2009, and held in Iran.
Bauer and Fattal were sentenced to eight years after being convicted on spy-related charges but were released after more than two years.
Shourd was released on bail after 14 months.
Bauer proposed to Shourd while both were in prison, fashioning an impromptu ring out of threads from his shirt.
All three say they were innocent of spying and had simply strayed across the countries' border while in the mountainous region.
Fattal was to be Bauer's best man, Rosenfeld said.
No additional details about the wedding were released, but an automated response to an email inquiry from The Associated Press to Shourd said the couple would be away on a honeymoon until May 18.
They live, and will remain living in the San Francisco Bay area, Rosenfeld said, but he did not disclose where.
Shourd grew up in Southern California, Bauer is a native on Minnesota and Fattal grew up in Pennsylvania.