- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)9
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)19
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
2 hikers held in Iran marry in Calif.
SAN FRANCISCO -- Two Americans detained and accused of spying after hiking near the Iraq-Iran border three years ago were to be Saturday in the San Francisco Bay area.
A private wedding ceremony for Shane Bauer and Sarah Shourd was set for 4 p.m. at an undisclosed location, said San Francisco lawyer and family friend Ben Rosenfeld.
Bauer, Shourd and Josh Fattal were arrested July 31, 2009, and held in Iran.
Bauer and Fattal were sentenced to eight years after being convicted on spy-related charges but were released after more than two years.
Shourd was released on bail after 14 months.
Bauer proposed to Shourd while both were in prison, fashioning an impromptu ring out of threads from his shirt.
All three say they were innocent of spying and had simply strayed across the countries' border while in the mountainous region.
Fattal was to be Bauer's best man, Rosenfeld said.
No additional details about the wedding were released, but an automated response to an email inquiry from The Associated Press to Shourd said the couple would be away on a honeymoon until May 18.
They live, and will remain living in the San Francisco Bay area, Rosenfeld said, but he did not disclose where.
Shourd grew up in Southern California, Bauer is a native on Minnesota and Fattal grew up in Pennsylvania.