- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Golden Corral nearing opening; soft open scheduled for Monday or Tuesday (2/12/17)8
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)21
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
2 hikers held in Iran marry in Calif.
SAN FRANCISCO -- Two Americans detained and accused of spying after hiking near the Iraq-Iran border three years ago were to be Saturday in the San Francisco Bay area.
A private wedding ceremony for Shane Bauer and Sarah Shourd was set for 4 p.m. at an undisclosed location, said San Francisco lawyer and family friend Ben Rosenfeld.
Bauer, Shourd and Josh Fattal were arrested July 31, 2009, and held in Iran.
Bauer and Fattal were sentenced to eight years after being convicted on spy-related charges but were released after more than two years.
Shourd was released on bail after 14 months.
Bauer proposed to Shourd while both were in prison, fashioning an impromptu ring out of threads from his shirt.
All three say they were innocent of spying and had simply strayed across the countries' border while in the mountainous region.
Fattal was to be Bauer's best man, Rosenfeld said.
No additional details about the wedding were released, but an automated response to an email inquiry from The Associated Press to Shourd said the couple would be away on a honeymoon until May 18.
They live, and will remain living in the San Francisco Bay area, Rosenfeld said, but he did not disclose where.
Shourd grew up in Southern California, Bauer is a native on Minnesota and Fattal grew up in Pennsylvania.