- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Judge denies order of protection for woman accusing deputy of stalking her (6/23/18)5
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- Stooges in Jackson under new ownership (6/23/18)
- Poplar Bluff nail manufacturer gets hammered by new tariffs on steel (6/22/18)7
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Scott County Sheriff Wes Drury responds to issue involving deputy (6/23/18)2
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
One of the benefits of living in a university town is the opportunity to enjoy an array of arts activities. This weekend presents one such opportunity as students from the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Theatre and Dance host the Senior Showcase.
The showcase is a chance for students who have completed a performing arts degree to hold a show for friends, family and the community. Later this month 14 students, the largest group in the three years the showcase has been held, will travel to New York where they will perform for actors, agents and casting directors.
Rhonda Weller-Stilson, associate dean and director of the Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts at Southeast, said throughout the year industry professionals visit campus to work with the students and see them perform. She added that some students have gone on to start acting careers while others are doing other preparatory work such as script writing to advance their careers.
The showcase this weekend is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the River Campus. You can reserve a seat with a $10 contribution by calling 651-2149. The funds are used to help bring industry professionals to campus and defer costs for students participating in the New York showcase. Following the show a reception will be held in the John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center.
Consider attending one of the shows this weekend and show your support for these young performers.