- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
One of the benefits of living in a university town is the opportunity to enjoy an array of arts activities. This weekend presents one such opportunity as students from the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Theatre and Dance host the Senior Showcase.
The showcase is a chance for students who have completed a performing arts degree to hold a show for friends, family and the community. Later this month 14 students, the largest group in the three years the showcase has been held, will travel to New York where they will perform for actors, agents and casting directors.
Rhonda Weller-Stilson, associate dean and director of the Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts at Southeast, said throughout the year industry professionals visit campus to work with the students and see them perform. She added that some students have gone on to start acting careers while others are doing other preparatory work such as script writing to advance their careers.
The showcase this weekend is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the River Campus. You can reserve a seat with a $10 contribution by calling 651-2149. The funds are used to help bring industry professionals to campus and defer costs for students participating in the New York showcase. Following the show a reception will be held in the John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center.
Consider attending one of the shows this weekend and show your support for these young performers.