- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
One of the benefits of living in a university town is the opportunity to enjoy an array of arts activities. This weekend presents one such opportunity as students from the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Theatre and Dance host the Senior Showcase.
The showcase is a chance for students who have completed a performing arts degree to hold a show for friends, family and the community. Later this month 14 students, the largest group in the three years the showcase has been held, will travel to New York where they will perform for actors, agents and casting directors.
Rhonda Weller-Stilson, associate dean and director of the Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts at Southeast, said throughout the year industry professionals visit campus to work with the students and see them perform. She added that some students have gone on to start acting careers while others are doing other preparatory work such as script writing to advance their careers.
The showcase this weekend is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the River Campus. You can reserve a seat with a $10 contribution by calling 651-2149. The funds are used to help bring industry professionals to campus and defer costs for students participating in the New York showcase. Following the show a reception will be held in the John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center.
Consider attending one of the shows this weekend and show your support for these young performers.