- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- I will not be silenced (5/16/17)4
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
One of the benefits of living in a university town is the opportunity to enjoy an array of arts activities. This weekend presents one such opportunity as students from the Southeast Missouri State University Department of Theatre and Dance host the Senior Showcase.
The showcase is a chance for students who have completed a performing arts degree to hold a show for friends, family and the community. Later this month 14 students, the largest group in the three years the showcase has been held, will travel to New York where they will perform for actors, agents and casting directors.
Rhonda Weller-Stilson, associate dean and director of the Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts at Southeast, said throughout the year industry professionals visit campus to work with the students and see them perform. She added that some students have gone on to start acting careers while others are doing other preparatory work such as script writing to advance their careers.
The showcase this weekend is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the River Campus. You can reserve a seat with a $10 contribution by calling 651-2149. The funds are used to help bring industry professionals to campus and defer costs for students participating in the New York showcase. Following the show a reception will be held in the John and Betty Glenn Convocation Center.
Consider attending one of the shows this weekend and show your support for these young performers.