- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Ethel M. Helwege, 87, of Cape Girardeau passed away Sunday, April 29, 2012, at the Lutheran Home.
She was born Oct. 27, 1924, in Tilsit, daughter of Walter and Ida Hoffmeister Birk. She and Ervin Helwege were married Nov. 2, 1946. He passed away Jan. 28, 1966.
Ethel was baptized and confirmed at Trinity Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau, where she was a longtime member. She worked at the former Brown Shoe Factory in Cape Girardeau more than 30 years before retiring.
Loving survivors include six nieces, June Lincoln of Dexter, Mo., Sharon Rider of Cedar Hill, Mo., Lucille Schweer and Carol Stover of Jackson, Pam Birk of Houston and Linda Parker of Del Rapids, S.D.
In addition to her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by a brother and two sisters.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. until service time Wednesday at McCombs Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Nathan Burgell officiating. Interment will be in Cape County Memorial Park.
Memorials may take the form of contributions to Trinity Lutheran Church or Trinity Lutheran School in Cape Girardeau.
Online condolence messages may be sent to the family by visiting www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.