- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Out of the past 4/30/12
25 years ago: April 30, 1987
Concerned over the amount of time it is taking to do the drywall work in the county's new administrative office building in Jackson, Presiding Commissioner Gene Huckstep says he will request a meeting with the contractor and architect to discuss the matter.
Frank Giunta, a fund raiser for an international missionary organization, has just returned from a fact-finding tour through Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary.
50 years ago: April 30, 1962
Southeast Missouri's two representatives to the National Science Fair-International, along with their teachers, depart by plane for Seattle to join 380 other finalists from 200 regional science fairs around the world for the international competition; John D. Rigdon of Chaffee, Mo., and Stuart Landrum Jr., of Farmington, Mo., will carry this area's banner to the competition.
The Rev. Rex H. Henderson, pastor of the First Baptist Church in Jackson for 5 1/2 years, resigned his position in order to further his education; his resignation is effective July 29.
75 years ago: April 30, 1937
A severe rain and electrical storm, accompanied by some wind, sweeps over Cape Girardeau County and the adjoining region shortly after midnight, causing extensive damage to freshly plowed fields and country roads, and cluttering Cape Girardeau streets with debris.
Hillcrest Club is now controlled by a board that has charge of the golf course; the board is composed of William Schuette, Dolf Walters, Richard Hirsch, John Flentge and George Helton.
100 years ago: April 30, 1912
Jack Hobbs, for a long time an employee of the Bohnsack store on Main Street, has bought the Stausing stock of gent's furnishings on Broadway and is moving into the Walther building on the corner of Broadway and Frederick Street.
Harbor master Walter S. Albert receives another telegram from the government river observer saying the gauge at Cape Girardeau will reach 33.5 or 34 feet in two or three days time; from all points down river, reports show that conditions are getting serious and another inundation is feared.
-- Sharon K. Sanders