- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Poplar Bluff burglary suspect faces preliminary hearing today
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- A Poplar Bluff man charged with burglarizing a home earlier this month while the homeowner was sleeping is set to appear in court today for a preliminary hearing.
Jacob Sanoe Kalawaia, 27, is set to appear at 1 p.m. today on charges of felony first-degree burglary and felony first-degree tampering with a motor vehicle.
According to the probable-cause statement, on April 14 homeowner Deonna Vincent reported she had fallen asleep on the living room couch and had awakened at about 5:30 a.m. to find all the bedroom doors, which usually stay closed, open.
Vincent said her tip money, her daughter's laptop and Nintendo DS, and many power tools were missing, according to the statement.
Vincent's daughter, Tiffany Elliot, was spending the night at the residence of her boyfriend, who is Kalawaia's brother. Elliot said she awoke to find her vehicle and keys missing, according to the statement.
When Kalawaia and a juvenile friend returned with the vehicle, they told Elliot's boyfriend they had stolen items from Vincent's home, according to the statement. Elliot's boyfriend recovered the items and returned them to Vincent.
After a search by Butler County sheriff's deputies, Kalawaia and the juvenile were found and arrested.
Poplar Bluff, Mo.