- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)3
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Jackson woman accused of trying to hit another with her truck (6/15/17)
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)1
- Police search for two suspects in abduction, robbery case; victim found unharmed in Scott County field (6/16/17)1
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Racial disparity of traffic stops inches upward in Cape (6/15/17)6
- Police: Cape abduction may have ties to Georgia homicide (6/18/17)5
- 3 drown in Southeast Missouri in three days (6/16/17)
- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
Good Samaritan: Church couple
I've run up and down my front steps for 25 years without incident, but on a cold, windy day in January I mis-stepped, falling face down into the yard.
A quick trip by ambulance to the emergency room and X-rays showed a broken ankle. I'd be laid up for six to eight weeks. How could I manage that with a son at home to care for and no health or medical insurance? Not to worry -- I made a phone call to my friends at the church and they all took over from there.
As my foot was placed into a cast and I was issued crutches, a couple entered my room to usher me back home. On the way they stopped at the pharmacy, filling my pain prescription I'd surely need in the days and weeks ahead.