- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Good Samaritan: Church couple
I've run up and down my front steps for 25 years without incident, but on a cold, windy day in January I mis-stepped, falling face down into the yard.
A quick trip by ambulance to the emergency room and X-rays showed a broken ankle. I'd be laid up for six to eight weeks. How could I manage that with a son at home to care for and no health or medical insurance? Not to worry -- I made a phone call to my friends at the church and they all took over from there.
As my foot was placed into a cast and I was issued crutches, a couple entered my room to usher me back home. On the way they stopped at the pharmacy, filling my pain prescription I'd surely need in the days and weeks ahead.