- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Ely receives state poetry award
Cape Girardeau Central High School senior Veronica Ely received an honorable mention at the Missouri State Poetry Society's annual Winter Contest 2012 Youth Division. This qualifies her work for national consideration in the Manningham Trust Student Poetry Contest, sponsored by the National Federation of State Poetry Societies. Ely was also named a National Merit finalist -- one of the highest scholastic honors bestowed on high school seniors. In December the Cape Girardeau School Board named her a "Terrific Tiger" for her leadership, scholarship and service to others.
Healthy Weigh earns gold standard for excellence
The Healthy Weigh, a medical weight-loss program at Saint Francis Medical Center, was awarded the 2011 HMR Gold Standard Certificate of Achievement. This award distinguishes The Healthy Weigh from hundreds of clinics nationwide using the Health Management Resources program for weight loss. Since opening at Saint Francis in March of 2011, program participants have lost more than 3,000 pounds. Free orientation sessions are held each week, offering more information and samples of the program's food, beverages and meal replacements. To reserve a spot, call 331-5686.