- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Missouri lawmakers mull allowing school bus ads
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Missouri lawmakers have proposed allowing advertising on school buses to help cash-strapped school districts.
The ads would be allowed on the inside and outside of school buses but could not feature gambling, alcohol, tobacco or political issues. School districts would need to use half the revenue they generate for transportation costs.
Sponsoring House member Mike Kelley, a Republican from Lamar, said an extra revenue source could be useful for schools that have faced several years of tight budgets. Kelley said there already is advertising around schools.
School bus advertising has prompted concerns over safety and targeting children with advertising they cannot avoid.
About a dozen states allow some form of advertising on buses.
School bus ads is HB1273