- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Speak Out 4/16/12
I'VE been reading in the paper and hearing on TV all of these people telling us how the economy is getting so much better. I don't know where they live, but here in Southeast Missouri it takes twice as much money to fill up our vehicles. It takes more money every time you go to the grocery store to buy food. Things that you buy have gone up since the last time that you bought them.
TAYLOR Crowe's editorial cartoon potshot at the parochialism of Cape Girardeau residents was spot on. I can foresee a day when "Buckner bails out of all Cape projects" will supersede, "Obama re-elected in landslide," the latter likely being stuffed on the back page of section B.
Keep it country
I would like to comment about the Academy of Country Music Awards on TV recently. I am confused, why do we have to watch KISS? Why do we have to watch Lionel Richie? What happened to all the country stars that paved the way for young country artists of today? Like George Strait, Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, George Jones. All of those guys, why weren't they on the awards show to be recognized for what they have done in the past for paving the way for the new country stars of today? I was really disappointed in the Academy of Country Music Awards this year. Hopefully they'll get their act together and keep it country next year.