- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Speak Out 4/16/12
I'VE been reading in the paper and hearing on TV all of these people telling us how the economy is getting so much better. I don't know where they live, but here in Southeast Missouri it takes twice as much money to fill up our vehicles. It takes more money every time you go to the grocery store to buy food. Things that you buy have gone up since the last time that you bought them.
TAYLOR Crowe's editorial cartoon potshot at the parochialism of Cape Girardeau residents was spot on. I can foresee a day when "Buckner bails out of all Cape projects" will supersede, "Obama re-elected in landslide," the latter likely being stuffed on the back page of section B.
Keep it country
I would like to comment about the Academy of Country Music Awards on TV recently. I am confused, why do we have to watch KISS? Why do we have to watch Lionel Richie? What happened to all the country stars that paved the way for young country artists of today? Like George Strait, Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, George Jones. All of those guys, why weren't they on the awards show to be recognized for what they have done in the past for paving the way for the new country stars of today? I was really disappointed in the Academy of Country Music Awards this year. Hopefully they'll get their act together and keep it country next year.