- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)4
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
Speak Out 4/16/12
I'VE been reading in the paper and hearing on TV all of these people telling us how the economy is getting so much better. I don't know where they live, but here in Southeast Missouri it takes twice as much money to fill up our vehicles. It takes more money every time you go to the grocery store to buy food. Things that you buy have gone up since the last time that you bought them.
TAYLOR Crowe's editorial cartoon potshot at the parochialism of Cape Girardeau residents was spot on. I can foresee a day when "Buckner bails out of all Cape projects" will supersede, "Obama re-elected in landslide," the latter likely being stuffed on the back page of section B.
Keep it country
I would like to comment about the Academy of Country Music Awards on TV recently. I am confused, why do we have to watch KISS? Why do we have to watch Lionel Richie? What happened to all the country stars that paved the way for young country artists of today? Like George Strait, Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, George Jones. All of those guys, why weren't they on the awards show to be recognized for what they have done in the past for paving the way for the new country stars of today? I was really disappointed in the Academy of Country Music Awards this year. Hopefully they'll get their act together and keep it country next year.