- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Art appreciated at Central
We are pleased to highlight the importance of art education at Central High School as part of Central's centennial celebration. I've been fortunate to have been involved in the art program for the past four years. As an artist, I have grown immensely in my experience and love for visual arts.
Within the art education program, we have diverse learning opportunities. Central offers Art I through V, Art History, Ceramics I and II and Sculpture. The mediums we work with are drawing, painting, printmaking, fibers, mixed media, photography and ceramics. Sculpture uses a wide variety of media that can range from steel to fiber. Each art class requires higher level thinking and technique.
Central art students participate in numerous art shows. Earlier this year, 25 entries from students were accepted into the Southeast Missouri Symposium and among the accolades, we captured four first-place awards and the Art Academy Award and Featured Artist for the 2013 High School Art Exhibit Poster.
For advanced art students, the culminating moment in our high school art career is our Senior Show. Every senior's work will be displayed from 5 to 9 p.m. May 4 and from 9 a.m. to noon May 5 at S. Gregg Gallery, 112 N. Main St. This show displays and highlights the students' growth throughout their years of art education at Central.
Come see the work of some of Cape Girardeau's most promising young artists!
Laurel Kasten, senior Art V student