- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Harbor Freight Tools store coming to Cape (3/29/17)7
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Cape school board rejects proposal to allow parochial-school students to play sports (3/28/17)79
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- 'Construction with finesse' (3/26/17)2
- Chaffee district seeks bond issue for classrooms, property (3/26/17)4
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
Art appreciated at Central
We are pleased to highlight the importance of art education at Central High School as part of Central's centennial celebration. I've been fortunate to have been involved in the art program for the past four years. As an artist, I have grown immensely in my experience and love for visual arts.
Within the art education program, we have diverse learning opportunities. Central offers Art I through V, Art History, Ceramics I and II and Sculpture. The mediums we work with are drawing, painting, printmaking, fibers, mixed media, photography and ceramics. Sculpture uses a wide variety of media that can range from steel to fiber. Each art class requires higher level thinking and technique.
Central art students participate in numerous art shows. Earlier this year, 25 entries from students were accepted into the Southeast Missouri Symposium and among the accolades, we captured four first-place awards and the Art Academy Award and Featured Artist for the 2013 High School Art Exhibit Poster.
For advanced art students, the culminating moment in our high school art career is our Senior Show. Every senior's work will be displayed from 5 to 9 p.m. May 4 and from 9 a.m. to noon May 5 at S. Gregg Gallery, 112 N. Main St. This show displays and highlights the students' growth throughout their years of art education at Central.
Come see the work of some of Cape Girardeau's most promising young artists!
Laurel Kasten, senior Art V student