- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)7
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Art appreciated at Central
We are pleased to highlight the importance of art education at Central High School as part of Central's centennial celebration. I've been fortunate to have been involved in the art program for the past four years. As an artist, I have grown immensely in my experience and love for visual arts.
Within the art education program, we have diverse learning opportunities. Central offers Art I through V, Art History, Ceramics I and II and Sculpture. The mediums we work with are drawing, painting, printmaking, fibers, mixed media, photography and ceramics. Sculpture uses a wide variety of media that can range from steel to fiber. Each art class requires higher level thinking and technique.
Central art students participate in numerous art shows. Earlier this year, 25 entries from students were accepted into the Southeast Missouri Symposium and among the accolades, we captured four first-place awards and the Art Academy Award and Featured Artist for the 2013 High School Art Exhibit Poster.
For advanced art students, the culminating moment in our high school art career is our Senior Show. Every senior's work will be displayed from 5 to 9 p.m. May 4 and from 9 a.m. to noon May 5 at S. Gregg Gallery, 112 N. Main St. This show displays and highlights the students' growth throughout their years of art education at Central.
Come see the work of some of Cape Girardeau's most promising young artists!
Laurel Kasten, senior Art V student